April 12, 2019

Q & A with Anna Rozwadowska, writer, photographer, artist, editor, and spiritual guide



Anna Rozwadowska is an Environmental Management professional with an M.A. in Environmental Sociology and 15+ years of professional experience. She's a writer, photographer, artist, editor, and spiritual guide. On Medium, she's a Top Writer in Poetry and the poetry editor of Literally Literary. Connect with Anna online: Medium: @arozwadowska711 / Twitter: @AnnaRozwadowsk6 / or LinkedIn: @arozwadowska

-------

GB:  Anna, thanks for taking some time to chat. Can you share a little about yourself? Any background info that's NOT in the bio?

AR: I am a human 'being.' That is probably the best description possible; meaning I live what you live, I experience (much) of what you experience, I live a life full of challenges and rewards. I am not an individual that is easy to classify or box in, as my bio states, I am a professional with over 15 years of professional experience, and a psychic. Writing is a passion of mine and I spend a good time of my days floating in the clouds or grounding through my heart. That's where the best writing comes from.

GB:  How and when did you realize you wanted to be an artist?

AR: Good question. Does anyone know? I think it evolved naturally, and I became serious about my art at some point in my life. I never 'knew' I wanted to be a writer or famous painter, it happened naturally.

GB:  Is there any advice you have for someone looking to launch their writing career?

AR: So much advice. Remember, everything starts with small steps. Everyone grows and builds their craft through time and practice. I went through so many rejections as a writer (still do!), that it caused massive blackouts in periods of my life; as was the case with painting, drawing and more. Something sparked me, and I started again and kept on going. And that is what every artist needs, to learn, to grow, to have patience, to be persistent, to EXPECT drawbacks and failures, and to look forward to achieving their goals.

Additionally, and I hate to say it, not everyone is meant for everything. Perhaps you are not meant to be a writer. It happens. I suck at math and physics, even though I am a closet neuroscientist. And, try not to compare yourself to others; comparison is truly the thief of joy. BUT, learn from others, gain inspiration from others, talk to artists, be curious, it's all part of the process. You are never too small nor too 'big' for this; no one is exempt from the process of learning in life.

GB:  Who and what is on your MUST-READ list?

AR: I have to be honest, I go through periods of reading nothing, then poetry, then nothing, then a mixture of works. I would say, and I know I am going to forget many in this answer, but a must-read in everyone's life is Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. Life changing book. Rumi is my go-to poet, and I have no favourite poets, I read what speaks to me. I am a huge fan of Nikola Tesla and Universal consciousness; fascinating brains with a human complex; that is my deal.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho also comes to mind. Oh, and the Lord of the Rings of course. My brain just died, sorry.

GB:  Do you have a preference for the style? Poetry vs. prose vs. fiction vs. nonfiction? How about for the things you write?

AR: Yes. I am a hardcore poet. Poetry for me is writing from the heart and soul, it's always been my favourite. However, I write and read all kinds of stories; prose, articles, fiction, and nonfiction. I would say fiction is the least read.

GB:  What's your creative process like? Do you have any takeaway routines or strategies?

AR: Oh, don't follow me. Or follow me, not sure. I can, at this point, write on any subject, pop it in and I am going. But it took years for me to get to that point. I write almost every day, and one of my strategies is to write immediately after an idea or topic comes to mind; that is when your heart-brain-soul wish to speak. You can go back later and edit.

At times, I will skip meals and write like a mad man until I can't see straight. At times, I wake up at midnight and write. Why? I don't know. Then again most artists are partially mad.  But, if you are serious, you must accept that Creativity strikes at the oddest of moments, so carry with you a notepad wherever you go and be prepared to sacrifice for the rewards.

Also, continually learn from, talk to and I am a big fan of doing collaborations with other artists. It really challenges you to take two different types of writing from two different individuals, and if you come up with a magical combination, it really is a magical process.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Approach other artists, and even publishers. Learn, perfect your craft. Sometimes it's draining, as a lot of things in life, but learn, learn and learn.

GB:  If you could use one word or phrase to describe your work's message, what would it be and why?

AR: Think, but feel.

GB:  What does "success" mean to you?

AR: Oh! I wrote an article on Medium about this: "Redefining Success"

You will have to read it because it's what it comes down to. Success in our society has been usurped by someone or some secret society. It is not what we think. I believe that one can be successful in the smallest of ventures. Always remember this when thinking that you are not enough, not doing enough, not good enough, etc.

GB:  What's next for Anna Rozwadowska? Got any upcoming projects we can keep an eye out for?

AR: Oh my Lord. Ever heard the saying "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

That. That is my life.

I need to start writing my books again, penning two, or had been penning... working on my freelance writing career, I dreamt that one of my books became a Motion Picture so you never know.

Otherwise, I have learned to have aspirations and goals; I'd love to finish my Ph.D. as well, but for now, I have been dealt with enough surprises to last me a few years. My goals are to keep motivated to keep up my craft. And, I expand, I am co-writing and authoring peer-reviewed articles and more. Maybe I'll travel to an ashram and live the simple life. Who knows? 

No comments:

Post a Comment