October 1, 2019

Q & A with Shaun O. Smith, writer and self-published author



Shaun O. Smith is the author of The Results of a Failed Abortion: A Collection of Poems and Perfection: Limited Poetry. He is the Co-Curator of a local poetry society called Grass Routes, which releases a publication once a quarter. When not writing, he is spending time with his wife and daughter. Connect with him online at SOS Publishing.

-------

GB: Shaun, thanks for taking time to chat. Can you share a bit about yourself? Any background info that's NOT in the bio?

SS: Thank you for the opportunity. Nope. There isn't much to know about me except whats in my writing. I am literally an open book. Pun intended.

GB: When and how did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

SS: When I was in High School, I wrote an epilogue for the book Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers. That desire to write lingered in my mind since then but only reach “back burner” status at most. Although dormant, my want to write has given me a strong conviction that pestered me daily. I didn’t pursue writing until this year.

GB: What styles and genres do you prefer to work with? How comfortable are you with stepping out of those boundaries?

SS: Poetry. For now, only poetry. I am not comfortable stepping out of that boundary yet but in time I’m sure I may want to write a proper Autobiography.

GB: What's your creative process like? Do you have any takeaway routines or strategies readers might be able to utilize?

SS: No, I just write. All-day, every day, I write. My mind is always thinking of something that needs to be on paper and every time I get a chance, I take note. I’ll gladly break my neck jumping out the shower to take note of a great thought. After the day is over, I go to my office around 9 pm and write until 3 am. I may be sorting out notes and working them into pieces, or I may be writing something unrelated to my notes.

GB: Who and what is on your MUST-READ list?

SS: Pete Holmes’ just released a book called Comedy, Sex, God. Honestly, any autobiography written by anyone is a must-read. There is so much to learn from the lives of others, especially when they are telling you firsthand.

GB: What does "success" mean to you?

SS: Progression. The only way to succeed is to progress. “Success in progression” is a motto I live by. I write and move onto the next piece. I write and move on. If I linger, I begin to edit, if I edit, I doubt, if I doubt…I don’t write. So, to progress is to succeed.

GB: If you could use one phrase to describe your work's message, what would it be and why?

SS: Hands down, I’m the best at what I do.

Most people might think that this is pretentious, but they don’t realize I’m not writing for them. Sure, I hope they read my work, can relate, and take something for themselves, but at the end of the day, I only write for me. If I were writing for other people, my work wouldn’t be genuine. That’s just how I am. When I go back to read my work, I want it to show me how and why I’m the best at what I do so I am encouraged to keep doing so. I’m not telling other people I’m better than them, I’m encouraging myself to not quit, and to get even better. I am my biggest critic, and if I can win me over then I’ll never be able to convince myself to stop writing. No matter what the actual message is in the piece, I want the elements and characteristics to scream, “I’m the best!”

GB: What's next for Shaun O. Smith? Got any forthcoming projects we can keep our eyes open for?

SS: I have “A Night In My Office: Limited Poetry” coming out in the next couple weeks. I’m having to delay it for multiple reasons, both seen and unseen.

I have another set of Limited Poetry that I am yet to reveal the title of. It will release Q3 of 2019.

My eponymous collection of poems will release in the fall. Probably early November. This will be my second full collection of poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment