December 2, 2018

Q & A with Don Ross, artist


Don Ross is a mixed media collage artist. Hailing from Nashville, TN, he now resides in Ocean County, NJ. Using old photographs with digital editing, his work invokes a sense of nostalgia and mystery. Connect with him on Instagram: @ihatedonross

-------

GB: Don, thanks for taking time to answer some questions. Can you share a bit about yourself? Any background info that's NOT in the bio?

DR: Well I just moved to New Jersey this February, from Nashville. I went to school for audio engineering so my background is in music. I'm a Scorpio too, so I'm all over the place. I do everything I can not to work. I hate work. I've made a living doing freelance music and art for the past few years and I'm working towards that first million hahaha. Seriously though, I want a vacation home in Italy. Hire me for the things you're too lazy to do.

GB: If you could use one word or phrase to describe your art's message, what would it be and why?

DR: John Lennon. They say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

GB: As a fellow New Jerseyian, do you find it inspiring your work at all? Care to share any stories that our local squad might eNJoy?

DR: Not really. One thing I would say about NJ, at least where I live, is that there are no distractions. I live in the Pine Barrens so all my neighbors are crazy pineys. The last time I went to a bar around here there was an 80-year-old lady singing Radiohead at karaoke. TRUE STORY.

GB: What types of art do you prefer? Any recent challenges or roadblocks you've had to overcome in either creation or consumption?

DR: I'm really fascinated with sculpting. I'd love to try it, but I don't like getting my hands dirty.

GB: What's your creative process like? Do you have any takeaway routines or strategies?

DR: I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants. If I have an idea I go for it without any preparation and just see where that leads. So I would say it is a very intuitive process where I am changing the collage until it "works" for me.

GB: Which authors/artists have had the most profound influences on your work?

DR: Bukowski. But honestly, I'm not a big reader. School ruined it for me. I like picture books. Slim Aarons does it for me. He's a famous photographer from the '60s. Some of the most iconic photos I've ever seen. Very inspiring.

GB: Who and what is on your MUST-READ list?

DR: James Gurney's DINOTOPIA and Karl Marx' The Communist Manifesto.

GB: What does "success" mean to you?

DR: Getting that villa in Italy -- lol!

GB: What's next for Don Ross? Got any forthcoming projects we can keep an eye out for?

DR: I have a group show at Church Street Art gallery in Mt. Holly on December 5th. I think they're taking it down after the new year -- not entirely sure yet. All works will be $200 or less. Please-please go check it out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment