October 16, 2019

Q & A with Barry Hollow, writer



As a child of Ayrshire in the South West of Scotland, Barry Hollow wandered a long way south to arrive in Bristol in 2003, where he has planted roots. Barry recently joined North Bristol Writers Group who are a prominent body of writers within the literary community in this cultured city.  Barry’s poetry has been published in three online poetry magazines and most recently in an anthology called Symphony of the Wild Hearted by A.B.Baird Publishing, and is beginning to introduce himself to the vibrant live poetry scene in Bristol. Connect with him on IG: @thehollowgram. Catch him at the 'Fire: North Bristol Writers' at Bristol Festival of Literature on October 24th!

-------

GB: Barry, thanks for taking time to chat. Can you share a bit about yourself? Any background info that's NOT in the bio?

BH: As I said, I grew up in Scotland and moved to Bristol in 2003. I'm now very settled with my wonderful wife and beautiful 7 year old daughter. I have also now made my peace that I am an ex-sportsman too. I used to play football and volleyball but the 40yr old body has too many injuries to keep that going but I do still like to keep active, whether it's swimming, running, cycling or country walks with the family. We also enjoy camping and having holidays somewhere near a body of water, where it's the sea or a lake (or loch as we call them in Scotland).

GB: When and how did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

BH: Since our daughter was born, we have read her a bedtime story every night. When reading some of her favourites like The Gruffalo, I had the cliché parent reaction/inspirational lightbulb of, 'I would love to write a book like this!'. Rather than just plough straight into writing, I figured I should probably should get some practice. It was then I started seeking out the poetry community on Instagram. The more poems I wrote, the more I found I was enjoying the creative process and outlet. I've come to realise that I do need that creative outlet as my working life is very technical.

GB: What keeps you going?

BH: First and foremost, my family. We love spending lots of time together and they are my immediate support network. They are very supportive of me and my writing.

GB: What's your creative process like? Do you have any takeaway routines or strategies readers might be able to utilize?

BH: I have come to realise that broadly, I have a creative cycle. Creative thinking -> note making -> writing -> editing-> rest/creative recovery -> creative thinking. It doesn't always work exactly like that because life gets in the way, but just acknowledging there is a rest/recovery part helps me know there will be an idea along at some point and not to give myself too hard a time if I'm not creating all the time and to keep an open mind to what might influence, inspire or kick start a new piece.

GB: Do you have a preference between the spoken word or the written word? Why?

BH: I very much enjoy both but I really do get much more excited about spoken word. It can bring so many more layers and emotion from a piece of poetry or prose. The physical and vocal aspects are a draw to me. One of the most prominent aspects I enjoy about writing and as a consumer of poetry is the sounds that words make and how that gives them extra texture and meaning.

GB: What does "success" mean to you?

BH: It would be to have my work in various poetry publications, in print and online, perhaps a chapbook or two and ultimately to work with an independent publisher to bring a poetry collection into print.

GB: If you could use one word or phrase to describe your art's message, what would it be and why?

BH: Connection. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to talk (none more so than my poor suffering wife!). For me, it is about connecting with people and finding out about them and their background, their beliefs and engaging in discussion about all the big issues, but also in niff-naff and trivia. If I can use my writing as another means of engaging and communicating with people, that definitely gives me inspiration.

GB: What's next for Barry Hollow? Got any forthcoming projects we can keep eyes peeled for?

BH: As mentioned in the bio, I will be with North Bristol Writers group, producing, 'Fire' on the 24th Oct, which is an event within the month long Bristol Festival of Literature (2nd Oct- 2nd Nov 19).

Following that, my main aim as I alluded to, is to build a profile which will bolster the manuscript I will produce for submission to publishing houses. I am also working on feeling my way in to the very vibrant spoken word poetry scene in Bristol and meeting lots of talented and interesting poets. My first foray a few weeks ago with the Bristol Tonic team was very positive and encouraging. A really friendly and supportive group.

No comments:

Post a Comment